A reading corner is a great way to encourage students to read more. By creating a special space in the classroom just for reading, you can make reading more enticing and fun. Here are a few ideas for how to start and decorate your classroom reading corner:
Choose a quiet corner in your classroom to set up as a reading corner
It should be away from any noise or distractions so that students can focus on their reading.
If you have the space, set up a cozy armchair or bean bag in the corner for students to curl up in with their book. Adding some pillows and blankets will make it even more inviting. You could also hang a curtain around the space to make it feel more private and special.
Fill the reading corner with books! Students will be more likely to read if there are plenty of interesting books to choose from. Stock the shelves with a mix of fiction and non-fiction, picture books and chapter books, easy readers and texts for advanced readers. You could also put up a bulletin board with book recommendations and reviews written by students.
Decorating your Classroom Reading Corner
Decorate the reading corner with fun and festive posters, banners, and signs. You could also hang up some of the students’ artwork related to books or writing. Adding some greenery, such as a potted plant or small tree, can also make the space more inviting.
Make sure to put a sign up in the reading corner so that students know it is a special place for reading. You could also have a rule board with guidelines for how to use the space respectfully.
Here are a few more ideas to make your reading corner more inviting and appealing:
- Add some cozy seating. Make sure there are plenty of comfortable places to sit in your reading corner. Add bean bag chairs, floor cushions, or rocking chairs.
- Select a few well-loved books. Classics, popular series, or books with beautiful illustrations will add a personal touch to the reading corner.
- Consider adding some fun props to the reading corner, such as a telescope, binoculars, or a sand timer. These can make reading more exciting and engaging.
- Put up some book-related posters or artwork in the reading corner. This could be anything from prints of classic book covers to student artwork related to their favorite books.
- Add some greenery to the space. Plants can help to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere in the classroom.
- Make sure there is plenty of light in the reading corner. Good lighting will make reading more enjoyable and comfortable. You could add a lamp or two, or even string up some fairy lights.
- Create a relaxing atmosphere. Use soft lighting and soothing colors to create a calm atmosphere in your reading corner. You might also want to add a water fountain or some gentle background music.
- Add some fun accents. To make your reading corner more inviting, add some fun accents like posters, banners, or stuffed animals.
- Add some personal touches to the space. This could be anything from a special rug or pillow to a fun clock or sign. These little details will make the reading corner feel like your own special place.
With a little bit of effort, you can transform your reading corner into a cozy and inviting space that will inspire your students to pick up a book and get lost in another world.