Now we are at the start of the new year The British Institute for Learning and Development has two announcements to help get our members more involved.
Firstly we’re attending the Learning and Skills Expo on the 29th and 30th January in Londons, If you are a member and want to help out on the stand, even for a couple of hours you’d be most welcome – please email
to find out how.
Secondly we really want some guest bloggers for this blog, Even if you’ve never blogged before drop
your thoughts and we’ll try to include them in the British Institute for Learning & Development’s blog.
Happy New Year everyone – lets hope 2013 is a good year for L&D.
Business Manager for the British Institute for learning & Development.
As the year draws to a close some of us start to review the year.
Here at the British Insititute for Learning and Development we like to look to the future.
We will be attending the Learning and Skills conference in January, I’ll be attending there and wil be offering a short quality mark assessment for any company or individual that wants one. This will be free of charge.
The BILD Quality Mark is rapidly becoming the industry standard for Learning and Development.
If you are attending the Learning and Skill and want a L&D quality assessment book and appointment with me on stand 224 by emailing me
and or you can download the attached file (just under the social sharing sites) and complete it prior to attending, if you are not attending – email it to me anyway and we’ll discuss it over the phone.
After a conversation with a potential member today, I thought I’d sketch out the joining processes for other potential members.
1. Application Form – We ask that you complete an application form, the reason we designed an application form rather than CVs etc is that CVs come in all shapes and sizes making it difficult for our membership committee.
2. Payment – We take the minimum payment of £144 (this is the joining fee, annual subscription at affiliate level and VAT) – £4
3. Review – Your application form is then reviewed by the membership committee. The applications are sent to the Committee on a Friday and the process takes about a week.
4. Qualifications – We recognise a vast amount of Qualifications and Experience your Membership grade will be affiliate, associate, member or fellow depending on your qualification and experience.
5. Further Payment – If you are offered a membership grade above affiliate we’ll be in touch to ask for the difference.
6. Membership – Once all of the steps above have been completed we’ll be in touch to confirm your membership.
Any questions about Membership of the British Institute for Learning and Development should be directed to
Investing in learning and development can be a risky business and the excuses for not investing are often based on the fact that the outcomes are unknown.
The reason the L&D outcomes are often unknown is due to the fact that the outcomes are unmeasured.
The difficulties in measuring a new course or program, particularly from a new supplier, is that the expense is often high and the results need to be measured against the organisational need.
The British Institute for Learning and Development have a number of things that may be of assistance, firstly membership of the BILD ensures that the organisation or individual has had a number of background checks and that they abide by our code of conduct which can be found HERE.
Secondly, our members are able to apply for the BILD Quality Mark, a mark of recognition of good quality L&D, this allows organisations to know that the L&D they are receiving has been reviewed by one of our assessors. Those who have been awarded the Quality Mark are listed HERE. To find our more about the Quality Mark contact
Lastly, in conjunction with abdi Ltd the BILD are holding a continuing professional development (CPD) event titled “L&D: Investment or gamble” on the 29th November HERE
Our CPD events are free to members and have a small fee for non-members.
If you are not a member of the BILD you can come to this BILD Event free of charge, as a taster if you have never been to a BILD Event before. Call Rich on 0117 856949 to book.